Thursday, March 4, 2010

A Salad in the Hand....


I love me some salads , but sometimes my usual trough of salad (pictured above) can get a little boring. Still, the best way to detox is to make sure you consume a salad before every meal. When you just can't bear the thought of your tried and true or your same old, same old, it's time to shake things up. Sometimes just eating similar components in a novel way can turn into a whole new salad experience.

A few weeks ago, I decided to combine the beautiful, purple carrots I had in my fridge, roasted red peppers, raw orange peppers and seedless cucumber in a blanched (boiled for 5 seconds then put into an ice bath) collard greens. I prepped the veggies by julienning them. I prepped the collards by dividing them in half and discarding the tough spine.

As a dipping sauce/dressing, I adapted a recipe for Avocado "Mayo" from Living Raw Foods by Sarma Melngailis as follows:

Avocado "Mayo"

1 large avocado
1 tsp dry mustard
1 splash white wine vinegar
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
2 lemons juice and zest
sea salt to taste
water to assist with blending

Blend all ingredients in a high powered blender. The flavor is not really like mayo, but it has a good tangy, creamy vibe going.

Pictures of the yumminess below:








No comments:

Post a Comment